Is Your Router Firmware Updated? Here’s How to Do It!
Firmware updates are like tune-ups for your WiFi routers to keep them running smoothly and in an efficient manner. They not only help in improving the user interface of your WiFi router but also removes minor bugs and enhances security. Thus, it is always recommended to get your WiFi device a firmware update whenever a new router firmware version is available. Doing so will ensure that your Netgear router stays in tip-top position.
How to Update Router Firmware
If a new firmware update is available, you need to download and update it on your WiFi device to keep it run smoothly. However, make sure that during the Netgear router firmware update process, your WiFi is not in use by any of the connected client devices. In some specific router models, a slight difference can be witnesses in the interface of your Netgear router one the update completes.
Moving on, let’s make you familiar with the process of updating firmware on your Netgear router. There are various methods to update the latest firmware version on a Netgear router. Let’s check them all one by one.
Caution: Before you start the firmware update process, we want to inform you that a wrong firmware update can make your WiFi device inoperative or dead. So, if you are a non-techie, better to get an expert’s assistance for the firmware update of your router.
Update Netgear Router Firmware Using Web Interface
- Log in to your Netgear router using routerlogin.net
- Once you reach the dashboard of your router, navigate to the Administration option.
- Locate the Advanced option and select the Netgear Firmware Update option.
- If you see any new firmware update for the router you own, click the Yes option to get the update.
- The new firmware may take 4-5 minutes to get updated on your device.
- Once complete, your router will reboot to make the changes effective.
Update Netgear Router Firmware Using Manual Method
- If you manually want to update the firmware of your router, then head towards the Netgear Download center on its official site.
- Reaching there, type the router model you want to get an update for in the search box.
- Select the model you own from the list that appeared.
- Note: If you can’t see the name of your router model in the list appeared, ensure whether you have entered the details rightly.
- Select the Firmware Downloads option.
- Check the latest firmware version and select the one you want to update by hitting the Download button.
- Save the file on your device.
- Once done, unzip the downloaded file and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the router firmware update process.
Update Netgear Router Firmware Using Nighthawk App
If you find the above-listed methods a bit complex to execute for updating your Nighthawk with the latest firmware version, then this method may best fit your needs.
- Download the Netgear Nighthawk on your mobile device.
Note: The Netgear Nighthawk app is available on both Google Play Store and Apple App Store. So, you can download it from the store that is matching the OS of your mobile device.
- Launch the app and log in to your Netgear Account.
- Tap on the Sign In option.
- As soon as you hit the button, the dashboard of your router displays.
- Now, check for the Firmware Update by going to the Settings page of your router.
- If you find any new firmware for your Netgear router, tap on the ‘Update’ button to get it updated.
That’s it! These were the different methods to update firmware on a Netgear router. We hope you do not want to fall behind the times, isn’t it? So, get set to make the most of your Netgear router by updating your WiFi device with the latest firmware version.
Just in case, if you still can’t update your router’s firmware, get in touch with a technical expert for getting help on your router firmware update.