Router Firmware Update
Router Firmware is pre-installed and embedded software which controls administrative features, routing protocols as well as security functions.
- The firmware is stored on read-only memory (ROM) chip of router.
- In order to make your device work properly, ensure that the firmware is up-to-date.
- If this is not the case, you may experience issues when connecting to internet or trying to connect with any smart device.
How to Update Router Firmware
The firmware updating process can enhance connectivity as well as keep the router network secure. It is always suggested to download the latest updates whenever they become available. Most of the routers come with a built-in update checker that performs the complete process automatically.
Here’s how to update firmware using the admin web user interface:
- First of all, find the the default IP address.
- To do so, click on Start button
- Go to network status window.
- Network Status window shows different sections related to the network.
- Just find the details option and click on it.
- Here, the default IP address of your router can be seen.
- After that, open an internet browser and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar.
- Make an account using your email.
- Once done, the admin page for router will display.
- Click on Router Update.
- Finally, hit Yes button.
Router will start the downloading process. Click on the downloaded file and install firmware by following the given steps on screen.
Find Model Number of Your Router
When you download the firmware, you need to enter the model number of your device.
- find out the model number of router as different models have different firmware versions.
- After finding the model number, you will get to know the firmware version of router.
- If there is any update to that particular version, download it immediately.
- The model number of Router can be found at the back side of it.
- Most of the times, it is clearly visible on the sticker.
- But in case this sticker is missing or damaged, go to routerlogin.net admin page and find the correct model number of your router.
Unable to Update Firmware?
Various users face different problems while updating the firmware e.g. unable to connect to the server, progress bar takes a while to complete etc. In order to resolve such issues, just go through these troubleshooting steps.
- Power-cycling of router can help a lot.
- Power off the router and wait for some time. After that, power it on. This process is known as power cycling.
- Also, opt for a different web browser to download router firmware update. For instance, if you are using Chrome and can’t download the firmware, use Firefox or Internet Explorer.
Firmware is essentially intended to operate the router. It works as an operating system that offers a user interface to configure and change settings according to the requirements. Some routers possess special procedures for updating firmware version.